First Church Early Learning Center
The First Church Early Learning Center is a place where children are celebrated; where development of self-esteem and self-expression are key elements of the early childhood curriculum; where no question or problem is too big or too small to be heard; and where parents can always find nurture and support for their important role in their children's lives.
Ellen Monchun, Director
Accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children since 1987, a theme-based, play-based program serving three to six year olds.
Affiliated with the Early Childhood Council
HOURS OF OPERATION CURRENT OPENINGS
TUITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS
School Readiness Grant
First Church Early Learning Center participates in the School Readiness Grant program which provides subsidized child care for children in our three and four year old Full Day class. Contact Betsey Lepak at 860-687-2080, ext. 105 or click mouse on School Readiness Grant header(underlined above in green).
NO READINESS SPACES ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE; WILL HAVE SPACES FOR THE 2013-2014 SCHOOL YEAR.
Care4Kids We also accept children who qualify for Care4Kids, a state funded program of tuition assistance for working parents. For more information, call 1-888-214-5437, click mouse on Care4Kids header(underlined above in green), or request an application in the office.
The curriculum at First Church Early Learning Center is structured so that each child's program includes:
- Imaginative play and exploration;
- Art projects and physical activities, which encourage large and small motor skills;
- Planned and spontaneous opportunities to share thoughts and emotions verbally with teachers and peers;
- Casual, comfortable surroundings in which to develop friendships and self- knowledge;
- Careful preparation for future learning through properly sequenced activities;
- Supportive teachers who respect each child's right to learn and grow.
- Learning at this level must be carefully planned, yet based on the spontaneous interests of children. The basis for our daily planning to ensure these experiences for all children is our own curriculum in conjunction with the Connecticut Curriculum Framework's Intentional Teaching and NAEYC(National Association for the Education of Young Children) curriculum criteria.
The Inside View
The center is housed in the lower floor of the Parish House in four well-equipped, developmentally appropriate classrooms. Each room has a sink, housekeeping corner, block area, manipulative-play area, reading area, easel and table toys. Nelson Hall serves as our gym where we hold weekly Music and Movement classes. Two bathrooms, each with one child-sized toilet and one regular toilet, are in a central location from all classrooms.
The Outside View
Our fenced playground behind the Pierson House offers a new playing surface with swings, sandbox, climbing structures, four-way teeter totter, and a paved surface for bikes to stimulate the imagination and encourage large motor activity for three, four, and five-year-olds.
CALENDAR Structured classes start the beginning of September, generally the Tuesday after Labor Day.
HALF DAY PROGRAM (Traditional Nursery School) The three-year-old program offers parents a choice of two or three sessions a week. Four-year-olds meet three or five sessions a week.
FULL DAY PROGRAM (Day Care) First Church Early Learning Center offers a flexible small group childcare in a family- like atmosphere. A nursery school component is part of the morning routine. Full or part-time care is available from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The center is open year-round, but does close for major holidays.
REGISTRATION is open to the public in late winter.